Do you wish to improve your health at the community scale? Do you wish to reduce illnesses? Do you wish to stay at the cutting edge of a rapidly developing field that affects everyone? The Master of Public Health (MPH) degree prepares students to improve and protect the overall health of populations. Students learn to deal with the difficult issues affecting communities, collaborate with individuals from different industries, and educate people about the best practices in health care.
If you earn the MPH degree, you’ll be capable of analyzing information and influence public policy analyze and assess health risks to the public, or conduct research on health.
Comparison of MPH with MS and as MHA?
The Master of Public Health (MPH), Master of Science (MS) and Master of Healthcare Administration (MHA) degrees train students to improve the overall health of the population. But, they approach the same goal from different angles.
An MPH program prepares students to become public health professionals who work in the public sector in non-profit organizations, as well as in industries to collaborate with communities, develop and assess public health programs or help increase public consciousness of the most effective healthcare practices.
An Master of Science (MS) degree can prepare you for a job in research or analysis or to enter an PhD program.
The MHA can aid professionals manage the business aspect of healthcare companies and manage teams of health professionals.
Master of Public Health
- The focus is on Concentration on preparing for the profession of an official in the field of public health.
- program for the MPH include: Community Health Promotion, Environmental Health, Epidemiology, Maternal & Child Health, Public Health Administration & Policy, Public Health Data Science as well as Public Health Nutrition
- MPH Executive programs Public Health Administration & Policy and Public Health Practice
- Jobs: Community outreach coordinator health educator health engagement marketing manager public policy coordinator researcher clinical dietician, health administrator, health educator, epidemiologist as well as environmental health researcher.
Master of Science
- Concentration: A strong emphasis on research and science. A MS degree will help you prepare for a job in analysis or research, or the chance to apply to an PhD program.
- Microsoft programs Statistics, Clinical Research, Environmental Health, and Health Services Research, Policy & Administration
- Job types: Biostatistician, senior researcher biomedical scientist, academic physician environmental chemist Hygienist, research scientist and epidemiologist
Master of Healthcare Administration
- Goal: Learning the tools of leadership and management to effectively manage the business aspects of healthcare institutions and oversee teams of health care professionals.
- The topics covered include: Core business courses such as management, finance accounting, economics, and management in addition to health policy and law
- Jobs: Director of hospital operations, practice manager; Director of Patient Safety director of business development chief nursing officer and chief executive officer.
The advantages of having an MPH
A doctorate in health care can lead to higher-paying jobs that carry more duties. Most hospitals and health establishments require that applicants possess a master’s degree. With the potential for a long-term pay increase for these positions of leadership getting an MPH is worth the expense both in terms of time and financial cost.
Based on the Bureau of Labor Statistics the health care industry is predicted to create many more positions than other industry over the next decade. The number of jobs in health care are projected to grow by 14 percent, and management positions in particular will increase with an increase of 18 percent between 2018 to 2028.
Additionally, jobs that require an MPH typically offer much-higher-than-average salaries. In fact, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the median salary for health and medical manager across the U.S. for 2019 was $100,980 annually.
The chart below from the Bureau of Labor Statistics shows the 2019 U.S. median annual wages for health and medical managers in the most lucrative sectors:
|Hospitals: local, state and private||110,430|
|Outpatient care centers||95,320|
|Residential and nursing care facilities||86,820|
The Bureau announced that in 2019 the U.S. median wages for epidemiologists was $70,990. Dieticians made a median salary of $61,270.
Why should you choose the MPH degree ?
Its University of Minnesota School of Public Health is ranked as the top 10 across the country according to U.S. News & World Report. The school was also one of the first schools in the United States to provide the Maternal & Child Health MPH program.
Research conducted in the UMN School of Public Health has resulted in numerous innovations with far-reaching implications. Examples include:
- Legislation that permits Medicaid reimbursement for services provided by Doulas who are certified for pregnant women living in Minnesota
- Laws that require every new and renovated building to be fully accessible for those with disabilities.
- National Minor’s Consent to Health Services Act of 1971
- The first complete definition of child abuse and neglect
- First report to reveal the high prevalence of concussions with football players in the youth age group.
- First city-wide ban on cigarettes vending machines within the U.S.
- The FDA has proposed restrictions to tanning beds for people who are 18 and younger
Best MPH program?
The UMN School of Public Health provides nine MPH master degree programs. They can be completed within two years, and could require involvement in the community.
- Community Health Promotion
- Environmental Health
- Maternal & Child Health
- Public Health Administration & Policy
- Public Health Administration & Policy (Executive)
- Public Health Nutrition
- Public Health Practice
Community Health Promotion:
The program teaches students how to improve their health and decrease health inequity in the community. The curriculum stresses the importance of conducting research to evaluate the psychosocial and behavioral health of individuals and risk factors, and to design local prevention and treatment programs as well as influence health policies and assess the effects of changes in the behavioral health.
Students are required to complete their course by combining classroom learning and practical experience. The majority of classes are taught on campus during the morning. Part-time enrollment is also available and allows students five years to complete their degree.
In addition to gaining an excellent foundation in occupational and environmental health issues, students may decide to concentrate on one of the following areas:
- Environmental Infectious Disease
- Global Environmental Health
- Environmental and Occupational Epidemiology
- Industrial Hygiene
- Occupational and Environmental Health Nursing
- Occupational and Environmental Medicine
- Occupational Injury Prevention Research Training
The market for job seekers of an MS on Environmental Health is extremely strong due to the growing number of occupational and environmental health issues. There are positions available at universities, private and public firms, government departments and non-governmental organizations.
The necessity for epidemiologists was brought to light in the year 2020, when the COVID-19 epidemic swept all over the world. Epidemiologists are detectives of disease who research health-related problems and their prevalence, distribution as well as their determinants. They also find ways to improve the health of all people.
Students have three options to participate in this program:
- Standard course
- Infectious Health Epidemiology Track
- Accelerated program is accessible to students who have MD, DDS, DVM or PhD in the same field.
Maternal & Child Health
The UMN School of Public Health was the first college across the country to provide this program that focuses at improving the overall health and wellbeing of children, women and families.
The curriculum offers two options. Both can be completed online, in person or in both.
- Standard track is ideal for students who have no prior knowledge
- Advanced Standing track: created for students who have an academic degree in advanced health or three years of work experience in child and maternal healthcare or in public health.
Public Health Administration & Policy
The top 10 public health policy course teaches students to become leaders and leaders in public health administration positions. Students learn to enhance and manage their organisations and influence policies with the in the goal of improving the health of the public.
Jobs for graduates who have these MPH degree are offered in non-profit organizations, government agencies and companies dedicated to improving health for the public.
Classes are available in person online, on-line or in hybrid.
Public Health Administration & Policy (Executive)
This program is specifically for professionals with at least 3 years experience who want to take or are looking to assume leadership roles while improving overall health of their communities.
Students collaborate with each other to tackle issues and get experiences. The course blends classes on campus and online. It can be completed in just 25 months.
Public Health Data Science:(MPH)
This new and innovative Public Health Data Science MPH program — among the only a handful of programs like this within the U.S. — equips students with the broad capabilities required to plan and implement and evaluate public health campaigns and initiatives.
Public Health Nutrition. (MPH)
Improved nutrition and health aid in building stronger communities. Graduates aid in health and prevention of disease both at the individual and communal at a local level by making good choices in food.
The program is available as two versions:
- The main program focuses on the assessment of nutrition, planning programs changes in health behaviors interventions, and the development of policies.
- The Coordinated Master’s Program enables students to gain the MPH in preparation for taking the Registered Dietician test.
Public Health Practice (Executive)
Professionals with advanced degrees who wish to further develop their health care careers will be delighted by this program that is flexible. It’s designed to fit their personal schedules and educational requirements.
Students are able to take classes from all over the University of Minnesota and can enroll on the internet and in person.