Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
Deadline: Before 1 Nov 2022 (Annual)
Canada: Study abroad
Course begins May/Sept 2023
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships) were created to attract and keep top-notch doctoral students to Canada and establish Canada as a world center for excellence in higher education and research. These scholarships can be used towards a doctoral or combined MA/PhD, MD/PhD.
Host Institution (s):
Canadian Universities with Vanier CGS Allocation The Vanier CGS can only be tenable at an eligible Canadian institution that has submitted the nomination.
Level/Field of Study:
Doctoral programmes (or combined MA/PhD/MD/PhD in health research, natural sciences, and/or engineering research; social sciences and/or the humanities research
An eligible doctoral program must include a significant research component that leads to the completion of a thesis, major research project, dissertation, scholarly publication, performance, recital and/or exhibit that is merit/expert-reviewed at the institutional level as requirement for a completion of the program.
Joint graduate programs that combine a professional degree (e.g. MD/PhD or DVM/PhD), as well as clinically-oriented programmes of study, such as clinical psychology, are eligible programs, provided they include a substantial autonomous research component.
Each year, up to 166 scholarships will be awarded
Canadian citizens, permanent Canadian residents and foreign citizens can be nominated to a Vanier CGS.
For three years, the scholarships are worth $50,000
You must meet the following requirements to be eligible for a Vanier CGS:
* must be nominated only by one Canadian institution that has received a Vanier CGS quote.
* be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component). Only the PhD portion of a combined degree can be funded.
* Will pursue full-time doctoral studies or research at the nominating institution in the summer semester, or during the academic year after the announcement of results. Note that funding is only available for the PhD portion of a combined degree.
* Have completed not more than 20 months in doctoral studies by 1 May 2023
* Have completed not more than 32 months full-time study in their doctoral programs, by 1 May 2023, if:
- You are enrolled in a joint graduate program such as MD/PhD or MA/PhD. This category includes applicants who are enrolled in a joint graduate research program, e.g. MD/PhD, MA/PhD or DVM/PhD.
- You can go straight from a Bachelor’s degree to a PhD without any additional time in a Master’s programme; or
- Without obtaining the Master’s degree , you can be accelerated to a Doctoral Program.
* Have achieved a first class average in the two previous years of full-time education or equivalent. For more information about the definition of a first class average, candidates are encouraged to contact their institution.
* Must not have received or be eligible for a doctoral fellowship or scholarship from CIHR or NSERC to pursue or complete a doctoral program.
Also Check : The Fully-Covered Emile Boutmy Scholarship 2023-2024
Instructions for application:
Candidate must be nominated at least one Canadian Institution that has a quota. Candidates can not apply directly for the Vanier CGS Program.
One of two methods can be used to initiate applications. Either the student notifies the faculty of graduate study at the chosen institution about their intention to apply for the Vanier CGS program, OR the institution initiates a nomination process by contacting desired candidates.
The student prepares the application and submits it to the nominee institution by their internal deadline via the Research Net system. The student then submits the application to the nominating institution. 1 December 2022.
To access the application form, and for more information on how to apply, it is important that you visit the official website (link below).
Official Scholarship Website: http://www.vanier.gc.ca/en/home-accueil.html