The Burger King Scholarship program has given over $44 million worth of scholarships to nearly 39,000 students since the program was created in 2000. And, even better, it is easy to start and finish your application now.
However, before you start, We want to make sure that you have the knowledge that will increase the odds of winning. In this post, we’ll cover:
- What is the value of Burger King scholarships are worth
- Who can be considered for Burger King scholarships? Burger King scholarships
- What documents do you require to submit your application
- Important dates, such as when applications open and close
- How to put together a competitive application
One note before we jump in: If you’d like to apply to more than just the Burger King Scholars Program, Scholly Search is the #1 scholarship app in the world and will instantly match you with hundreds of thousands of dollars in scholarships based on your interests, accomplishments, and traits. Take a look today by signing up for a 100 per cent free trial!
Let’s start by giving a brief review of the Burger King scholarships!
What is the Burger King Scholarship?
The term “a Burger King scholarship refers to any awards made through The Burger King Scholars program.
In honour of McLamore, the Burger King brand co-founder, James W. McLamore, the Burger King scholarships are for students who have honesty, high standards of entrepreneurial attitude, good citizenship and a desire to further their education.
As a Burger King scholarship winner, you can use your award money to pay for tuition, fees, and required books at accredited, two- or four-year colleges/universities in the United States, Canada, or Puerto Rico.
How Much are Burger King Scholarships Worth?
The numerous Burger King scholarships are worth different amounts and range from $1000 to $50,000. The majority of recipients are awarded $1,000 scholarships; however, they also receive various other scholarships every year. Burger King Scholars program also provides:
- up to three James W. McLamore WHOPPER(r) grants of $50,000 awarded to the highest-qualified students with leadership qualities, extensive work experience, and financial necessity
- The Regional Awards can be up to 12 of $5,000 awarded to the two most skilled employees in each of the six regions drawn from qualified and fully qualified applicants.
- A single (1) Steven M. Lewis Foundation award of $5,000 is awarded to the highest-qualified U.S. Restaurant employees selected from the pool qualified as well as submitted candidates aligned with U.S. Restaurants.
- Four (4) four (4) Bravokilo Inc./Bravotampa and LLC cash awards up to $5,000 are awarded to the highest-qualified Bravokilo Inc./Bravotampa members from the list of qualified and submitted applicants aligned with Bravokilo, Inc. or Bravotampa, LLC.
- One (1) Ghai Management award of $5,000 is awarded to the best-qualified Ghai Management employee from the pool of eligible candidates aligned with Ghai Management.
- 1. One (1) Carrols LLC award of $5,000 is awarded to the highest-qualified Carrols LLC employee from the list of eligible candidates aligned with Carrols LLC
Do You Need to Work at Burger King to Apply?
Nope! While certain among those Burger King scholarships we just talked about are available only to employees, not all are.
Therefore you don’t have to be an employee of Burger King employee! The $1000 and $50,000 scholarships are available to high school seniors who meet qualifications.
In reality, there are two applications tracks you can choose from to apply for a Burger King scholarship:
- Burger KING(r) General Track is open to high school seniors seeking an undergraduate degree from a U.S. accredited college/university and who have met the requirements for eligibility.
- BURGER KING(r) Employee-Based Track is open to spouses, employees, domestic spouses of employees, and their dependent children seeking either an undergraduate degree or a graduate program at the U.S. accredited college/university and satisfying the requirements for eligibility.
If you happen to be one of the Burger King employees, you’ll need to apply! As you’ll see in the following video, it is a Burger King Scholars program that appreciates hardworking employees and would like to ensure that they are successful in getting higher education!
Burger King Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
Now let’s examine the qualifications in each Track: the General Track and the Track for employees. Track.
BURGER KING (r) General Track Eligibility Requirements
For the general application track, you must:
- Are you living in either the United States, Canada or Puerto Rico
- Have graduated from high school as a Senior (the U.S. or Puerto Rico), graduated from grade 12 (Canada) or completed homeschooling either in Canada, the U.S., Puerto Rico or Canada
- A cumulative high school Grade Point Average of 2.5 or greater on the 4.0 scale or an equivalent
- It would be best if you planned to attend full-time, uninterrupted, throughout the upcoming academic year in an accredited four- or two-year school, college or vocational-technical school within the U.S., Canada or Puerto Rico.
BURGER KING (r) Employee-Based Track Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for an employee-based track, you need to
- Are you living in one of the United States, Canada or Puerto Rico
- You must be an employee or a franchisee of Burger King Corporation or a participant in a BURGER KING(r) franchisee (Franchisees)OR
- If you are an unmarried spouse (unless separated legally) or domestic spouse, or an employee* Burger King Corporation or Franchisees
- You must be a dependent child**(*) of an employee or franchisee of Burger King Corporation or Franchisees (Designated Employer)
- Have graduated from high school as a senior (the U.S. as well as Puerto Rico) or have completed a GED and graduated from the 12th grade (Canada), or have completed a school at home within Canada, the U.S., Puerto Rico or Canada or currently undergraduates at a college or graduate-level students from Canada, the U.S., Puerto Rico or Canada
- Have an average grade point of 2.5 or greater on a 4.0 scale, or an equivalent
- You can plan to be enrolled **** for the next academic year in an accredited two – or four-year college, university or vocational-technical school in the U.S., Canada or Puerto Rico.
* Employees must have been on the payroll of the designated employer for a minimum of 6 months from the deadline date for applications and employed when awards are first announced.
** Domestic Partner means (i) the sole domestic Partner and plans to remain that way for the rest of their lives; (ii) Employee and Domestic Partner live together in the same residence and plan to live for a long time; (iii) Employee and Domestic Partner are at least 18 (18) year old, and are mentally able to be able to accept an agreement; (iv) Employee and Domestic Partner aren’t related to each other by blood in a way that they would be unable to marry under the law in force where they reside. (v) the Domestic and Employee aren’t legally married to any other person and are not a part of any other domestic Partnership.
“Dependent” children refer to biological step-legally adopted children that reside in the employee’s household or supported primarily by the employer.
**** Employees and their spouse/domestic partner can be enrolled full-time or part-time. Employees’ children must be enrolled full-time with no interruptions throughout all academic years.
Additional Eligibility Requirements For the James W. McLamore WHOPPER (r) Scholarship
If you wish to be selected for the $100,000 James W. McLamore WHOPPER(r) Scholarship, additional conditions exist. The application process is through either the General Track or the employee-based Track. However, you must:
- If you are a citizen of Canada, or from the United States or Canada
- It would help if you were a senior in a high school or your homeschool in the United States, Canada, or Puerto Rico.
- You must be a full-time student at a four-year accredited university or college that is situated in either the United States or Canada and is exempt from taxation according to section 501(c)(3) (c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Grades that have a cumulative unweighted grade points average (GPA) that is at a minimum of 3.3
- You must have a minimum ACT Composite score of 25 or a minimum SAT score of 1220.
- Engage in a leadership role in sports, community service or other similar co-curricular activities (such as student governments or fraternal and team sports and so on.)
- Show a significant work background and financial capability.
- You must not be an officer or director, spouse/domestic Partner, or children of a director or officer from the BURGER KING(sm) McLamore Foundation.
How to Apply for a Burger King Scholarship
Applying for the Burger King Scholarship is an easy task if you meet the eligibility criteria you just listed and have all the required documents.
Because the Burger King Scholarship Program is directly administered by the Scholarship America(r) and Scholarship America, you’ll have to register an account to use an official application. After your account is set up, you can begin filling out English, Spanish, or French applications.
The application will ask that you upload the following:
- A record of your job experience and participation in school and community activities.
- An up-to-date (official or not official) transcript of your grades (Unofficial transcripts online or official transcripts have to show your name, your school name, grade along with credit hour hours of each class as well as the period during which the course was taught)
- A BURGER KING(r) employee details if your application to be associated with an employee
- If you can, include the financial information of your family. A copy of the most recent tax return they filed with IRS or Revenue Canada. IRS and Revenue Canada may be helpful to refer to when filling in that portion of the application.
Once you’ve uploaded all the information, submit your application. The Scholarship America(r) will contact you following that to confirm receipt of your application.
That’s all there is! If you’ve seen the video we showed earlier, you’ve probably heard former applicants claim that it took 20 minutes to finish the application!
You can also get a complete understanding of the application’s official look and how you can complete it from start to the very end in this instructional Burger King scholarship application tutorial:
Application Timeline for the Burger King Scholarships
So, by now, you’ve figured out if you’re eligible and the best way to apply for a Burger King scholarship. What is the best time to act to earn that scholarship?
Let’s take a look at the most important dates for Burger King scholarships, including when applications are open the application, the deadline and the deadline for deciding.
October 15 The application period for the Burger King scholarships opens
November 31 The application deadline to receive this year’s Burger King scholarships closes
May May: the Scholarship America(r) will reveal the recipients of Burger King scholarships and request additional details
August The winners of Burger King scholarships will receive scholarship checks via mail. The winners must inform their university or college about the award and hand over the check for the scholarship in the mail to their school as quickly as they can.
Even though the deadline for application will be December 31, we’d suggest you apply before that date. Why? Because If 50,000 applications are received by December 31, the application will not open.
Tips to Increase Your Chances of Winning a Burger King Scholarship
If you want to win any of these Burger King scholarships, you’ll have to submit an entry that stands out from all hopeful applicants. Therefore, here are a few strategies to boost your chances of winning!
Gather Your Application Materials in Advance
The application process for the Burger King Awards won’t need essays or recommendation letters. But it is important to be prepared by preparing the necessary documents for the application well before submitting your application. Why? Because according to the old saying, “The early bird is the best first bite! There’s a chance of getting the Burger King scholarship if you’re one of the first 50k applicants. Try to be among the first applicants!
Achieve a Solid Academic Record and Test Scores
Scholarship America(r) is the major factor in its decisions on whether to grant you the Burger King scholarship based on your academic records. According to the eligibility guidelines, the minimum GPA required for the cumulative grade to earn for the General Track and Employee-Based Track is 2.5 on a 4.0 scale. If you’d like to be eligible for the $100,000 James W. McLamore WHOPPER(r) Scholarship, you’ll need an average of 3.3 or an average aggregate score of 25 on the ACT or 1220 on the SAT. Also, be sure to be prepared for all your classes and examinations!
Participate in Extracurricular Activities, Community Service and Work Experience
Scholarship America(r) is the second portion of the decision on the quality of your involvement in extracurricular pursuits, volunteer work, and work experience. The most qualified applicants have taken part in at least three of these. Therefore, always be involved in these kinds of activities during your high school years. It will not only benefit your application for Burger King scholarships. Community service, extracurricular activity, and work experience can aid the college application forms, personal statements, and essays for scholarships!
Where to Find More Scholarships
These Burger King scholarships are fantastic and worth applying for to reduce the cost of your college tuition. However, you don’t have to stop at Burger King. There are many more opportunities to apply for and be awarded!
To easily find them, the #1 scholarship app that instantly matches you with hundreds of thousands of dollars in scholarships based on your interests, accomplishments, and traits!
It is also possible to read the remainder of this blog, where we offer strategies to discover ways to finance college and win scholarships, such as the visionary Scholarship and other Full Ride Scholarships.